Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Should You Hire a Professional?

Steve Harney's Keeping Current Matters has an excellent post today on whether you should hire a professional to sell your home or try to do it yourself.  You can see the whole post here, but one particular section really spoke to me.  I have had several "commission negotiation" discussions lately, and what takes me 7 or 8 minutes to explain is summed up here in a concise and clear manner:


Realize that when an agent is negotiating their commission with you, they are negotiating their own salary; the salary that keeps a roof over their family’s head; the salary that puts food on their family’s table. If they are quick to take less when negotiating for themselves and their families, what makes you think they will not act the same way when negotiating for you and your family? If they were Clark Kent when negotiating with you, they will not turn into Superman when negotiating with the buyer or seller in your deal.


I have joked before that if you think I am a bulldog with you, imagine how I am with people across the table who are not on my side!  Considering how important my paycheck is to the livelihood of my family, it is very very difficult for me to give any of that up.  If I negotiate (or settle) easily for my own family, how can you trust that I won't do the same for yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment