Monday, January 24, 2011

Sorry Matt, but You're Wrong This Time!

I love watching The Today show on Mondays -- not only to get my Matt Lauer fix for the week but also because of the real estate segment they regularly run. I am usually pleasantly surprised by the advice given and agree that it is spot on... but not today! Today's segment on "5 Sure Ways to Sell Your Home in a Down Market" featured some great tips, but I adamantly disagree with the very first one. The real estate expert (her name escapes me at the moment, but like I said, I usually agree with her) said above all else to wait until after Super Bowl Sunday to list. Her reasoning was that no one is looking right now.
I disagree for SEVERAL reasons.
FIRST, interest rates are rising overall. A buyer can afford more home for the same payment now that he can afford if the interest rate goes up.
SECOND, people looking now are serious. You may not have as many showings as you would in the Spring, but the folks looking will mean business.
THIRD, most people will wait to list -- if you go ahead now, you have a leg up in that you aren't lost in the shuffle.
FOURTH, listing now gives you the opportunity to work out the kinks before the busy season starts. Perhaps you have an alarm... listing now and having a showing or 2 will give you the chance to have the showing instructions honed before the busy season.
FIFTH, the longer you wait, the more your price will be affected by shadow inventory. There are fewer foreclosures on the market now affecting your price than there will be in a month or two.

To speak to me about the pros and cons of listing now, just call 336-714-9444 or click. Have a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment