Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Wanted: Sign Riders!


I saw a blog on Trulia today about sign riders that should exist. While I can't really say I have a need for most of the ones listed in the blog, I do have several ideas for sign manufacturers... and in case you are wondering, a sign rider is a strip that goes along the top of the sign that says "Price Reduced" or "Pool" or something like that!

1. No Window Shopping: I am constantly amazed by the number of sellers I have who have seen people literally walking around in their yards during the day (without an appointment to do so with an agent!). When a buyer calls me and asks if they may get out and look in windows of a listing, if it is vacant I say "of course!" -- but I ALWAYS thank them for asking! I have had several unsuspecting buyers met at the front door with a shotgun. I'm not kidding. Moral of the story: buyers AND agents, if you want to look in the windows of a property, call the list agent first to make sure it is vacant!!

2. Dry Basement (Usually): I hear all the time "oh yeah it's a dry basement -- it's great... no problems there... except when it rains really hard." As a seller you don't want to say you have a moist basement if in fact it isn't moist all the time, but a buyer needs to know that there can be issues. I would love a rider that sort of qualified that.

3. We Love Cats: This one will let you know that -- you guessed it -- there are cats in the house. Some homes with cats are still tidy, clean, smell good, etc., but even those homes can be problematic for someone with severe allergies. I have the nose of a hound dog (or so my husband says), but I have been with buyers several times who have broken out in hives once in a house longggg before I had an inkling that a cat lived there. So, advance notice would be great and would save everyone -- seller, buyer, me -- lots of time and preparation!

4. Unmotivated Seller: No one wants to pay full price for anything. I get that... but if you as the seller are absolutely not budging one smidgen off your asking price, just let us know that up front. Some folks, no matter how much they love your house, won't pay full price on principle. So, if I have those buyers in my car, that particular rider would save me great trouble.

What are some signs YOU would like to see?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment